Want to keep your granite counters looking shiny and new? Look no further – you’ve found the best DIY granite cleaner recipe!! The solution is here! Keep reading to find out how.
Last summer we finally updated our 1980’s kitchen. Those honey oak cabinets had to go! Unfortunately, the previous owners put high gloss polyurethane over dirty cabinets. It was flaking off everywhere!
We priced out various options to replace our current countertops. Although granite was the highest cost, it was just a little more than a high-end laminate. In the cost of a kitchen remodel, it was a small upgrade. We took the plunge and had them installed!
Here’s our kitchen a week before the install. They had to remove the old ones to measure everything correctly. Then they laid the old counters back on top of our base cabinets for a week. With 4 kids, I was a little nervous about unsecured countertops. I’m thankful to report we survived without any injuries!
How glorious those shiny new counters looked. It was the finishing touch I was looking for!! Here is a before and after picture.
I wanted to keep them looking just as fabulous as the day they were installed. I bet you do too!
At first, I bought an expensive granite cleaner. I was so scared to mess up my counters. But then I started to wonder about the cleaners ingredients.
Were they safe to use around my kids?
I make all my own cleaners, I knew there had to be a way to come up with the best DIY granite cleaner recipe.
It had to be economical, with 4 kids my counters are constantly being cleaned. How do little people make such big messes anyway!?!
Since I started using the best DIY granite cleaner recipe I’ve never looked back. Neither will you!
Best DIY Granite Cleaner Recipe
There are a lot of DIY granite cleaner recipes out there. I have a secret ingredient you won’t find in other recipes, yet you have it in your kitchen cabinets already.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- An Empty Spray Bottle
- 1/4 cup of Vodka (I buy the cheap stuff) or rubbing alcohol (2 Ounces)
- 4 Drops of Castile Soap or Dish Soap
- 1/4 tsp of Cornstarch
- 3 Cups of Water (24 ounces)
- Unscrew the spray bottle top and put the funnel inside the bottle.
- Add 1/4 tsp of cornstarch to the spray bottle using the funnel.
- Pour 2 ounces of vodka into the spray bottle using the funnel.
- Pour 24 ounces of water into the spray bottle using the funnel.
- Remove the funnel
- Add 4 drops of the soap
- Shake until combined. Go crazy and get cleaning your counters! I was addicted to compulsively cleaning my counters for a few days.
Tips for Success
- My secret ingredient is cornstarch. It sounds weird but I also use it in my glass cleaner recipe. It helps prevent streaks and keeps things super shiny! But it in the grocery store – it’s less than $2 for a container.
- Give your DIY Granite Cleaner a good shake before using it. The cornstarch will separate between uses. You can see some of it at the bottom of this bottle.
- The side of the spray bottle should have the ounces marked on it. Instead of using a measuring cup to measure 1/4 of vodka, just fill the bottle with vodka until it hits the 2-ounce mark. Then add enough water until you hit the 26-ounce mark (2 + 24 = 26 ounces). Super fast and easy!
- Use a microfiber cloth instead of a paper towel. Microfiber cuts down on the elbow grease to clean up hard to clean. It’s all I clean with. I seriously love my microfiber! If you’re not using them – you’re making cleaning harder than it needs to be!! I use Amazon basic microfiber – you get three colors to color code your cleaning. They are reasonably priced so I don’t feel bad if I need to throw one in the trash.
- If you’ve got a stubborn mess, use a razor blade to scrape it up. After a long day in the kitchen, I give my counter a quick scrape before cleaning them with my DIY Granite Cleaner. Getting up the big messes makes things easier.
Get Your Free Granite Cleaner Label
Get your free printable granite cleaner label. The label has the granite cleaner recipe directly on the label. Now you’ll have the best DIY granite cleaner recipe right where you need it – when you need it!
Just enter your email address below to subscribe to the Natural Soap Mom newsletter. You’ll get the printable granite cleaner recipe plus 3 additional cleaning recipes! All Free!! All the cleaning recipes are easy to make and effective!
Did I mention they are free?? Enter your information below now!
Get yours now!!